Of late I’ve been trying to sort, file, purge, burn, delete, etc. the vast amount of files on my computer- not sure why but it gives me a sense of closure. I mean I’m not ever going to build the pseudo-Victorian raccoon house that I have plans for, am I? In doing so I came across a listing that I do not recall where it came from- I didn’t write it, possibly my wife did, less possible my 6 year old daughter did. In all likelihood it was a list found somewhere and copied with the intent to refer to on a regular basis- it hasn’t been but will be.
The primary lesson that I have re-learned over the last 18 months (you know the story: economy flushed, laid off, start my own firm, blah blah blah) is that while I’m an Architect and being such is a great part of my life, it is not my entire life- there are many more important things to me. However, how to achieve them and what is truly important usually gets lost amongst my life traversal. As such, this is a good list to follow regarding instructions for life (and if you read between the lines it’s a good primer on client relations and contains some design tips):
1. Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
2. Memorize your favorite poem.
3. Don’t believe all you hear, spend all you have, or sleep all you want.
4. When you say, “I love you,” mean it.
5. When you say, “I’m sorry,” look the person in the eye.
6. Be engaged at least six months before you get married.
7. Believe in love at first sight.
8. Never laugh at anyone’s dreams.
9. Love deeply and passionately. You might get hurt but it’s the only way to live life completely.
10. In disagreements, fight fairly. No name calling.
11. Don’t judge people by their relatives.
12. Talk slowly but think quickly.
13. When someone asks you a question you don’t want to answer, smile and ask, “Why do you want to know?”
14. Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
15. Call your Mom (on the phone not a profanity).
16. Say “bless you” when you hear someone sneeze (think the movie singles).
17. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
18. Remember the three R’s: Respect for self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
19. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
20. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
21. Smile when picking up the phone. The caller will hear it in your voice.
22. Marry a man/woman you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.
23. Spend some time alone.
24. Open yours arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
25. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
26. Read more books and watch less TV.
27. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll get to enjoy it a second time.
28. Trust in God but lock your door.
29. A loving atmosphere in your home is so important. Do all you can to create a tranquil harmonious home.
30. In disagreements with loved ones, deal with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
31. Read between the lines.
32. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
33. Be gentle with the earth.
34. Pray. There’s immeasurable power in it.
35. Never interrupt when you are being flattered.
36. Mind your own business.
37. Don’t trust a man/woman who doesn’t close his/her eyes when you kiss.
38. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
39. If you make a lot of money, put it to use helping others while you are living. That is wealth’s greatest satisfaction.
40. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a stroke of luck.
41. Learn the rules; then break some.
42. Remember that the best relationship is one where your love for each other is greater than your need for each other.
43. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
44. Remember that your character is your destiny.
45. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
** I’ve been careless on properly referencing the image to it’s’ source…meaning I haven’t and just used an image search engine. Inform me if I’ve used a copy written image and I’ll remove the image and send you an apology card. In addition if this was/is a copyrighted list inform me of such as well